It’s Saturday…the weather is cooling down (in some places) and the whaft of home made banana bread is always amazing.
You’ve gotta agree. Like really.
You should make this tomorrow. Fill your Sunday afternoon with bananas and chocolate. It’s really really good. And, if there’s any left over, this bread freezes super well – so you can have a little piece of that Sunday afternoon on, say, Wednesday. It’ll make your week better.
PS- vegan schmegan. I need to stop telling you all that ‘you would never know it’s vegan’…because that makes the assumption that vegan is yucky. And that’s just totally wrong. Promise.
From My New Roots
- ¼ cup milk of your choice (almond, hemp, cow, goat, soy…)
- 6 Tbsp. olive oil, butter, ghee, coconut oil
- 6 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 2 ¼ cups mashed ripe bananas (approximately 5 medium bananas)
- 2 cups flour (I used whole wheat pastry flour)
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- 1 cup chopped nuts + seeds (I used walnuts, almonds, and pumpkin seeds)
- ¾ cup chopped dark chocolate (or chocolate chunks)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Line an 8” x 8” cake pan or loaf pan with baking paper, or lightly oil and dust with flour, shaking out excess.
- In a blender add the milk, oil, maple syrup, vanilla, and bananas and blend until smooth.
- In a large bowl combine dry ingredients.
- Add banana mixture and combine using as few stroked as possible. Fold in nuts and chocolate.
- Pour into a cake pan and smooth the top. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (time varies greatly according to oven – mine takes about an hour, but this recipe suggests only 30 minutes. Check periodically after the half hour mark.)