Well, our Christmas tree went up yesterday (we still have to decorate it today). And our Christmas mantel is nearly complete. I’d say that calls for a festive brunch. What better than the involvement of eggnog and cranberries? Oh so delicious together…but if you can’t swing the cranberry preserves, the eggnog pancakes are just as good with a good dose of maple syrup.
Pancakes adapted from Martha Stewart
- 2 cups all-purpose flour or WW pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups eggnog (we used So Delicious Coconut Nog)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Non-stick cooking spray or extra butter
- Heat griddle to 375 degrees. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar in a medium bowl. Add eggs, eggnog, and 4 tablespoons butter; whisk to combine. Batter should have small to medium lumps.
- Spray griddle with non-stick cooking spray or butter. Wipe off excess.
- Pour pancake batter using a 1/2 cup measuring cup, in pools 2 inches away from one other. When pancakes have bubbles on top and are slightly dry around edges, about 2 1/2 minutes, flip over. Cook until golden on bottom, about 1 minute.
- Repeat with remaining batter, keeping finished pancakes on a heatproof plate in oven. Serve warm.
- 1 bag of fresh cranberries
- 1 cup apple juice or cranberry juice or orange juice
- 1 cup sugar
- Wash the cranberries. Go thru them and throw away all the ones that have gone soft.
- Place all ingredients in a large heavy saucepan.
- Bring mixture to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- The cranberries will begin to pop on their own. Stir it every few minutes, and as you stir, pop the cranberries that might be still whole. Cranberries are naturally high in pectin, you won’t need any additional pectin to help this jam set, as long as you cook it until thick and syrup-y
- After the cranberries are cooked. Remove from heat and let cool. Be careful, the mixture is VERY HOT and will burn you.
- Transfer to smaller jars or plastic bowls OR Ladle into prepared jars, wipe rims, apply lids and process in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes.